Tuesday, 11 February 2014

Books I Read Over Again





 Every year I make a new list of books to get through in the coming year. I usually add to this list throughout the year and cross some books off. Some of the time books get half read and forgotten. Most of the time I find myself going back to the same four books.


Romeo and Juliet, Shakespeare. I absolutely love this play. I take it with me whenever I travel. I have always had a thing for cryptic words and the way that the most simplest of scenarios can be formed into something much more beautiful. I guess that's why I'm such a big fan of older books. Because the social cues and the way words are written can seem so foreign, yet we're all still speaking the same language. Baz Luhrman's adaptation is one of my favourites. I love the modern twist, yet the way it is spoken is so old school. Sometimes I open it to my favourite acts, other times I will read it start to finish.


Catcher in the Rye, J.D Salinger. When I first finished this book I loved it. It's filled with teenage angst and stress and all the emotions in between. It frustrates you and you really start to understand the character, and I see myself in this character when I read the book. The pages are not yet dog eared and the spine is not completely worn out, but I know this is a book I'm going to read and read again.


The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald. When I first read the book I envied Gatsby, and was frustrated at how the book ends. The second time I read it I began to pity Gatsby and it made me so upset the way his friends treat him. Once you get past the whole lavishness and abundance of wealth that can overwhelm you when you first read this book, you start to see the characters in a whole new perspective. Again, Baz Luhrman's adaptation is one I love. The luxuriousness of Gatsby's wealth, making him so hard to place, and so riddled with rumours, that nobody really knows what to believe, yet nobody really believes the truth.


The Bellwether Revivals, Benjamin Wood. This is a fairly modern book by my standards. It starts with a foreshadowing, so the whole time you read it, you find yourself trying to decipher the characters in a way that you can only do when you know what the outcome is going to be. It's set at Oxford, and the story is cast through the eyes of a young man and how he views the new friends that he has made.

2 comments:

  1. Romeo and Juliet is such a fantastic play, love this kind of post!

    http://starsandspaceandstuff.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou! It's such an amazing play xx

      Delete